Purpose of Role
The role of the Head of Operational is to drive, oversee and monitor the effective management of risks within Masthaven (“the Bank”), to enable entrepreneurial leadership within a framework of prudent and effective controls which enables risk to be assessed and managed.
A strategic leadership role, the incumbent will be a Material Risk Taker and will deputise for the CRO as required.
The role holder will be hands-on and lead the Operational Risk Team to ensure that the Bank continues to maintain an efficient and effective Operational Risk management framework, and that the vision, appetite and strategy for Operational Risk is embedded into the culture.
- Strong decision making skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Commercial and business focus
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Understanding of complex risk requirements
- Positive influence & proactive initiative
- Sound up-to-date understanding of IT, cyber security and change management requirements
- Collaboration and flexibility
- Communication and conflict resolution
- The successful candidate will ideally be an experienced Head of Operational Risk with significant retail banking experience. They will have a proven track record in identifying key strategic risk issues and implementing successful value adding initiatives. Exposure to consumer finance, SME lending and retail deposit taking will be advantageous
- The ability to successfully engage with and challenge stakeholders at a senior level, as well as experience in motivating and developing teams is essential
- In particular the jobholder will be a recognised leader and have:
o Exposure to the regulatory framework required to manage lending and deposit taking activities in the UK financial services market
o Leadership experience to influence and challenge the business agenda to focus on risk agendas
o Demonstrable and extensive Operational Risk experience, including the provision of creative and practical solutions in new markets
o Experience and knowledge of best practice risk frameworks, methodologies and emerging practice including recent regulatory development
o Experience of managing people and small teams
o Sound understanding of the business environment
Note: this job description provides an indication of the skills required and responsibilities associated with this position. It is not an all-inclusive list of job requirements. The job description is regularly reviewed and may be changed without prior consultation.
Please read the Recruitment Privacy Notice before submitting your application.
Masthaven Bank is committed to providing equal opportunities for all its employees regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age. This applies to promotion, training and all other aspects of employment as well as our recruitment processes.